Hummingbird Building Its Nest Watch Videos from Mating to Now - God's Gift to Us
Hummingbird from Nest Building to Fledglings
- It takes 5-7 days to build the nest.
- The nest is built to expand as the babies grow.
- She will stay on the eggs (2 eggs) 55 minutes out of the hour for 11-18 days.
- Baby eggs are the size of little peas to jelly beans.
- Day 7 of babies being hatched mom was still resting on the nest.
- Juvenile hummingbirds fledglings (leave the nest) 18 to 28 days after hatching.
- On average they visit 1000 flowers each day.
- They have great memories and can memorize human faces.
- They can detect the sugar content in the nectar.
- Hummingbirds can consume up to 8 times their body weight with nectar in one day.
- Some hummingbirds use a strategy called torpor (like hibernation), where they can lower the amount of energy they use by about 85 percent.
- Hummingbirds will eat 25% of their daily intake as soon as they recover from torpor.
- Some hummingbirds sleep upside down in torpor hanging from a branch.
- Hummingbirds feed their babies every 20-30 minutes
- Hummingbird babies are born blind and naked without feathers. At first, the hummingbird mother will keep her babies warm by sitting on the nest.
Feeding Day 1-9
Feeding Day 10 Onward
Building with Dandelions
Nest Building from Day 1 to Day 7
Using Spider Webs
Behind the Scenes
Mate Visits While in Nest
Hummingbird Living Journal
On May 6th, 2021 the hummingbird began building her nest. On day two of building it, I filmed her mating in the air and on the ground. She began creating by design an amazing nest with architect know how humans would dream to have. Her skill by design is innately programmed and only of Heaven.
May 12, 2021, Day 7, the nest was pretty much built and in place. On day 8 which was May 13, 2021, I saw her taking from her nest and leaving. She did it again on May 14th. She also began leaving for longer periods of time on May 13th ( Day 8) and I wonder if she was building a second nest somewhere else.
May 14th, 2021, Day 9, She added back to the nest and laid her egg. In the video you see her look back at the egg.
May 15, 2021, Day 10, She can be seen moving quickly up and down generating heat to incubate the egg. Today a family of squirrels came into the avocado tree and all around her nest. When they left she flew into every area they had been like she knew their track and when they left. There are beautiful orbs flying around the nest as well. Heaven has been keeping watch. Her mate is with her. He can be seen in some videos visiting her a few times and is close by keeping watch. She stays in the nest for most of the hour but will leave to bath, and get food but only for a few minutes.
May 16, 2021, Day 11,She laid another egg later in the day. Her mate came to visit. She has been adding dandelions for comfort. A beautiful moment was spent when her mate came and sat with her outside the nest on a cable. She stayed in the nest throughout the night. There was a moment when three other hummingbirds were by the tree. It's as if they knew she had laid the eggs.
May 17, 2021, Day 12, She stayed on the eggs all night. Her mate is staying right next to her hidden in the avocado tree. They are a good team.
May 18, 2021, She has been a good mother keeping her eggs warm. Leaving to play with her mate, eat, and groom every hour for a few minutes.
May 19, 2021, She is incubating the eggs and sometime between 11-18 days, the eggs will hatch.
May 24, 2021, Day 19, while incubating her eggs her mate came for a visit.
May 29, 2021, Day 24, incubating her eggs and they are due to hatch any day.
June 3, 2021, Day 29, After 18 days the eggs hatched at dusk, I watched her feed her young ones.
June 5, 2021, Day 31, We can see the beak of the babies while being fed.
June 7, 2021, Day 33, It's Day 5 of being out of the shell and they are growing quickly! She leaves every 10-30 minutes to get food for them.
June 11, 2021, Day 37, Day 9 out of the shell. Mom is feeding them often and they have tiny little feathers starting to cover their bodies. Today was their first day without mom resting on the nest. She stays close by and her mate is there and I believe another hummingbird is there as well. The baby's eyes are still closed.
June 12, 2021 Day 38, Day 10 out of the shell the babies are opening their eyes. We can see they can blink now and have a small opening. More feathers are coming in as well. At times there are more hummingbirds keeping watch over them than just the mate.